Monday, August 31, 2009

Email update from Alex

My final town for serving as a Peace Corp Volunteer is a nice town, really calm, which is nice. It is bordered by a massive date palm tree forest, and should have some veggies and fruits, but most of those will probably be imported from a nearby town. People were really nice and I found it easy to communicate in French (though I was mostly hanging out with the Conseillier and the Director of the primary school, so of course they spoke French (and English, though we avoided that for the most part). I received lots of offers to teach me Beri Beri, though I'm going to wait until I start getting a grasp of Hausa before I try that. My house is small, about college dorm-room size, and I don't have a large yard. It has a nice shade hangar and an outdoor latrine/shower area.Bus ride went well. Both to go out and to come back, the buses left at 5am. We arrived at the main town around 6 pm (which is apparently unheard of to have it go so fast), arriving back in Niamey, we got in around 7, 7:30 (still fast). Usually, though, I should expect to get in around 8pm, 8:30.
I’ve seen some camels and beautiful horses along the road and in towns. There haven’t been many recent mail deliveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment